SUMMARY:Software development involving
OOP, systems, communications, GUIs, graphics, compilers, diagnostics,
porting, optimization, i18n and l10n, and more.
- Hardware: PC, HP Prism, IBM RS/6000, Sun SPARC, VAX, PDP-11
12/2013 – 7/2014: Senior Architect, Mimosa Networks)
- Continued support and enhancement of API and REST interface
- Designed and implemented embedded client and virtual gateway as two pieces of proprietary cloud
- Wrote server and client for anti-pirating protocol activating software after manufacture
3/2009 – 11/2013: Senior Architect, Symbio (formerly Ethos Technologies)
8/2012 – 11/2013: Mimosa Networks
Designed and wrote API and REST interfaces to allow controlled 3rd-party access to
device management functionality. Also wrote device SNMP agent.
11/2010 – 6/2012: Omnicell
Technical lead and project manager on localization project adding double-byte support
to large (1M+ lines of code) client/server application on specialized hardware.
1/2010 – 10/2010:
implemented and troubleshot websites in PHP (Drupal and Smarty)
3/2009 – 12/2009: Inkspin1
Technical lead of 4-man project to implement TV-based Skype client. Designed low-level
widgets using Clutter and GTK to build the GUI.
3/2008 – 2/2009: Senior Developer, Exoweb
Part of team developing server applications with Python and Django using agile programming techniques
3/2006 – 1/2008: Senior Consultant, Catharon Productions
Rehired by Catharon to develop their Vdelta system. Wrote regular expression engine
and journaled indexed file system.
6/2004 – 3/2006: Build Manager, Siemens Mobile
Responsible for build process of device layer mobile phone software. Position involved
isolating problems, delegating them to the appropriate coder, and maintaining code quality.
Member of Java porting and support group, maintained and enhanced support for Java ME
11/2001 – 4/2002: Consultant, Precomm
Designed and wrote an interpreter in Java to apply queries written in Xquery to virtual XML
databases (XML, SQL, flat file)
7/1999 – 6/2001 Senior Developer, Catharon Productions
Contributed to design and wrote major parts of a multiplatform web development language and
environment, Vdelta©. My parts included:
- VDelta compiler: Solely designed and wrote the program to compile VDelta source code.
- Language executor: completely reworked existing opcode interpreter to make it faster and more maintainable.
- Kernel internals: Suggested and maintained major design features, debugged and improved existing multiplatform kernel.
- Linux platform-specific kernel support: Wrote Linux platform drivers for services like graphics (raw X and VGA), file system services, communications
10/1996 – 5/1998: Principle Software Engineer, Unifi Communications Beijing
- Worked with central development group in the US on internal development projects
- Designed general gateways for connecting arbitrary fax networks to company's internal network
- Troubleshot and analyzed company's internal data network
- Managed Asian development group: 5 people in 3 countries
2/1992 – 2/1996: Senior Development Engineer, Concentra (formerly ICAD)
- Worked in development, maintenance, and platform support of Knowledge Based Engineering CAD system written in Lisp
- Ported the product to the HP-UX and Japanese Solaris platforms
- Integrated HOOPS as 3-D graphics driver
- Completed and then supported a remote access interface (similar to CORBA) for the product during its immediate post-development stage
- Supported Emacs as product working environment, and added OTS ATOK7 character input to Mule
- Provided 3rd level platform support for HP 700, Sun JLE, DEC (MIPS), HP 300 (M68000), and IBM RS/6000
6/1989 – 11/1991 Systems Engineer, IBM China
- Led team of 4 engineers providing technical support for the introduction of the RS/6000 in China
- Directly responsible for all issues with the system,including communications (TCP/IP), graphics (X-Window, GL, PHIGS), and UNIX system programming
- Provided support for sales and new customers by porting, benchmarking, installing, troubleshooting, and both internal and customer education
9/1983 – 9/1984: Consultant, Digital Equipment Corporation
- Wrote boot/diagnostic ROM for micro PDP-11
- Based on that project wrote company standard on the process of booting microcomputers
9/1982 – 5/1983: Consulting Programmer, Cynapse Inc.
Consulted for several companies. Projects included disk formatter/exerciser, controller diagnostics, and an object oriented VT100 screen manager
9/1980 – 5/1982: Programmer, Logica Inc. (originally Freyberg Systems)
- Debugged and enhanced publicly available C compiler for internal use
- Customized and improved to specs existing funds transfer system for a new bank
- Worked as part of 3-man team developing and installing funds transfer system for Swiss Bank Corporation
Graphical display of Beijing PM 2.5 air quality index, maintaining historical data since January 2013.
Lame Photo Organizer (2011):
Update of ABCD (below), written in Java and Swing, has all the features of ABCD but is better designed and runs faster.
IC (Interactive C) (2004):
Interpreted C-like scripting language with Java-style OO extensions, written in and tightly coupled to Java.
ABCD Organizer (A Better CD Organizer) (2003):
Generic data organizer, including photos, videos, and documents. Written in Java and Swing,
organizational data is kept in an XML database and uses IC-based templates to generate output as HTML code
CMS written in PHP originally for my son's school, turning their static site into a dynamic one
where teachers and students could design and update their own web pages using PHP plugins. The
school (NSCL) used the software for several years with no problems, and I still use it for
my personal site.
9/9184 – 12/1987 University of Minnesota:
MA in Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science
9/1976 – 6/1980 Princeton University:
AB cum laude in Mathematics. Thesis topic was Classification of Arbitrary Non-compact 2-Manifolds.
This version of my resume should be kept up-to-date, and has more detail in it than the printed one. A PDF version of the resume is available here
if you prefer one that prints out nicer, but it does not have the descriptive links and may not be as recent.
You can also see samples of code I have written and my interests at my main site, young-0.com
or see recommendations on LinkedIn